The pantry project is just dragging on and on and on. I’ve spent so much time working in here it feels like I never leave. I have had a couple setbacks due to hardware issues. BUT I am almost at the end of the tunnel — and I see the light. This should be a very exciting week! This is the week that I finish! FOR SURE! Really!
Here’s what’s been happening:
The blind corner is no more. Remember I took out the cool contraption I created to try to create something that worked a little smoother and then scrapped the whole thing? Then I had ONE more idea to try… Well it was a good hiding place for a few weeks before I tried tackling that idea.
Then I built one piece to my new idea but when I removed the clamps and found that one of my plywood sides was WAYYYY warped I scrapped the blind corner once and for all.
I blocked off the blind corner by installing a false side using pocket hole screws to secure it.
Making sure this piece was square to the front and perfectly parallel to the other side was tricky as was maneuvering inside the cabinet to drive screws into the back. This is the one and only time these pocket hole clamps have actually proved helpful.
Then I built drawers. The drawers for this area went together and installed easily. I built for Blum drawer hardware like in the tutorial I recently shared. Instead of pocket hole screws I used loose tenons. These drawers are made out of 1/2″ plywood. I had other plans for the cabinet on the right.
For the remaining cabinet, I built 12″ tall drawers out of 3/4″ plywood. These drawers are 27″ deep and 15 1/2″ wide. Blum drawer runners for 3/4″ thick material are different than those for 1/2″-5/8″ material and they hold up to 150 pounds. I thought I might store bags of flour, rice, sugar, etc in these deep, heavy duty drawers.
I ordered these special runners, built my drawers and installed…one drawer. The left runner for the bottom drawer broke before I even installed it. That was a real bummer! Especially since these runners cost me $50 per pair and I didn’t order extra so I had to wait for a replacement.
The replacement was sent no charge – no problem. It took about three days to arrive. I worked on my door trim during those days. When I received the replacement, I installed the bottom drawer and it worked fine. But then I noticed the top drawer wasn’t closing tight on the right side. I removed the drawer to discover the right runner on the top drawer was now broken. It’s amazing to me that the mechanical workings that make these very pricey drawer runners slowly close themselves are all made of plastic.
At this point I decided there was an issue with the special 3/4″ material glides. I’ve installed over 30 of the 1/2″ material Blum glides in this kitchen and pantry and not had a single problem. Now two out of two 3/4″ material glides break on me?
I pulled out both 3/4″ drawers, removed the hardware, sent it back and ordered two more, 1/2″ material glides.
While I waited for my hardware, I built two new drawers out of 1/2″ plywood to work with the new runners.
I also installed all the base trim.
And I gave the countertops a light sanding to remove all the paint splatters from ALL the painting that I did in the room after I installed the countertops.
When I got the new runners I installed them and the drawers …with no issues. BOOM. Dumb 3/4″ drawer runners! I’m not even tempted to think it was user error since the first one broke before it was even installed. Maybe it was a bad batch. Whatever the issue, I don’t think I will ever use the 3/4″ material Blum runners again. I do still really like the Blum runners. But I’ll stick to using 1/2″-5/8″ material.
Video of drawer installation and frustration — for your viewing pleasure! HA!
Somewhere in that time frame I also started building my drawer fronts and put a finish coat on the countertop. But I’ll save that for another day because I’ve got to get in a few Zzz’s before I get up and FINISH this B—-! See ya soon!