So many people have been asking how to modify Kristy’s platform storage bed to be build without the daybed/bench aspect that I decided just to make up some plans for a “normal” platform storage bed. This post has plans for a Cal King Platform Storage Bed. I also drew up a Queen Storage Bed plan. You might also like my other free woodworking plans for Beds
California King Platform Storage Bed – free plans
- Use 3/4″ plywood or MDF
- Wood glue
- Wood screws in these lengths: 3″, 1 3/4″, 1 1/4″
Phase 1: Build 6 storage boxes as shown below
Step 1: Attach bottom to sides
- Use a scrap of 3/4″ material to ensure correct placement of the bottom.
Step 2: Attach back
Step 3: Attach top
Yeah! You’re done with Phase 1! If you put all the compartments together this is what you should have. If your measurements are slightly different, adjust the next steps to fit YOUR compartments.
Phase 2: Build the Platform Base
Step 1: Build the 2×4 base
- Use 2×4’s and 3″ wood screws to assemble as shown below.
Step 2: Secure Storage Compartments to Base
- Attach a 2×4 cleat to bottom of each storage compartment
- Each cleat should fit INSIDE the base.
- Set the storage compartment inside the base and secure the compartments together by driving 1 1/4″ screws into the sides.
Phase 3: Faceframe and Surround
Step 1: Add “head” and “foot”
- 3/4″ MDF or Plywood
- If you plan on doing an upholstered headboard you COULD upholster the footboard too.
- Attach using 1 1/4″ screws driving through from inside the cabinet compartments. (You might might have to climb inside to get enough screws in there.
- Each board extends above the platform by 1 3/4″
Step 2: Build and attach Faceframes
- Use 1×2 and 1×3 poplar.
- Build and attach with 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws.
- refer to post on building and attaching face frames for basic instructions
- Faceframes match height of head and foot
- If you are NOT doing an upholstered footboard you add a face frame over the footer and skip adding a filler strip to the footboard area in step 3.
Step 3: Add filler
- Add a 1×2 to the inside of the two sides and then the foot
- Glue and nail (from the inside) the 1×2 flush with the TOP of the face frame and “foot”
- If you added a face frame to the footboard skip adding filler strip to the footboard area as that will already be doubled up.
Step 4: Add Top Face
- Add another 1×2 to the top of the “U” shaped bed platform
Phase 4: Drawers and Drawer Fronts
Build and install drawers and drawer fronts using relevant instructional posts
Finish then build an awesome Headboard and enjoy!
- sand everything and paint or stain