I made the decision start the Master Closet demolition! I’m tearing out all the existing cabinets and starting fresh. Even though it would be easy to just throw up some bars and shelves and be done. It would look OK…until you looked up close. The existing side panels were made out of really rough plywood.
Master Closet Demolition Begins!
Also, I’m planning on building drawers and I didn’t want to try to build them into what was there. It’s really important that the cabinet be square!
I had all kinds of grand ideas. But after taping off one design plan, I decided that my closet isn’t wide enough for protruding wardrobes.
I have about 30 closet inspiration pictures I have in my “Closets” board on Pinterest. I haven’t actually decided on my final plan but I wanted to make some progress while I continued to stew over it. On Monday I started tearing it all out but I’m making sloooooooow progress. Partly because I haven’t actually had a whole lot of time to tear out the closet.
(Searching for tools, trips to the DMV …)
And partly because there’s a whole tube of caulk on each section so I have to put all my weight into pulling anything off the wall and that makes me sore and tired and then I have to go take a nap while laying on ice!
I still have to do the entire other side!
You always expect to find some surprise or other when you tear something out.
I discovered that the “Closet Organizer” was installed BEFORE the floors which makes tearing out more difficult not to mention the fact that I’m going to have to figure”covering holes in floors” into my new closet design.
I’ll tell you one thing: It’s a good thing Madison isn’t charging me a quarter for every swear word anymore.
I forgot how much harder it is to tear something up than it is to put it together in the first place!
See the next posts on my master closet remodel: