Painting is a chore, there are no ifs, ands or buts about it. Use these five easy painting tips to make life a little easier while you work!
1. When using a paint tray, poke several “drain” holes before you pour your paint out of the can. Use a nail or screw and poke several holes all the way around the rim. This provides a way for the paint to drain back into the can.
2. Lay a towel over the lid (that drapes down over the sides of can) before you put the lid back on- to ensure that paint doesn’t splatter all over!
3. I like to use a 5 gallon bucket when painting for several reasons.
- If you have several gallons of paint, you can mix them all together so you don’t run the risk of one can being slightly “off color” if you paint out of one can and then another…
- You can paint right out of the bucket. No pouring into a tray (or any of the dripping that comes with that). You simply hang a grate on the inside, dip and roll off the excess inside the bucket!
- You can store your roller cover in the bucket with the paint. Make sure your cover is submerged in the paint to keep it wet.
Don’t store your metal grate inside the paint, it will rust out!
4. I store my mini rollers in gallon cansof primer and paint for cabinets. Just fish it out with the roller bar and slide it into the hole nice and slow! It will be full of paint and if you shove it in, it will splatter paint all over!
5. If you’re working out of quarts, your roller won’t fit inside the can so plastic wrap (or plastic bags if you’re out of wrap) will keep your roller for a few days. Just wrap it tight and seal out the air.
Did you find this tip helpful? You might also like these other Painting Tips!
Megan @ Polish The Stars.com says
Great tips! I keep my paint brushes in ziploc bags but I never even thought about keeping rollers in the paint can. Thank you!
Laurel @ Ducks in a Row says
Great tips – thanks for sharing!
I do use ziploc's for the paint brushes. The nail in the rim is something I'm dying to try out. I guess I'll have to paint something now!
- Brittany says
Those are some good tips. Thanks for sharing. T-minus 21 days and counting!!!Brittany http://www.prettyhandygirl.com
Life in Rehab says
Good timing- we pick up the paint this weekend!
Lucy Designs says
Sandra first that pic of you with the tea and whipped cream is hysterical, I thought it was a marshmallow on your finger at first! and second..genius about keeping the roller in the paint, I'm so gonna start doing that!