I’ve always thought the idea of the Slap Bracelet was clever. Straight as a stick one second, then tap it on your wrist and it curls around it like a vine. Clever, just not usually very cute. Unless you make it cute yourself! This gift idea cost me 25 cents because I used fabric scraps and buttons I already had on hand.
Fabric Slap Bracelet!
I had a vision for this bracelet and read somewhere that you could use a plastic water bottle as the “Form” but then I saw this package of 4 slap bracelets at Hobby Lobby for 50% off making each one 25cents.
For 25 cents each, why bother cutting up a plastic water bottle?
Although, I have since actually tried using a water bottle, just to see if it would work…it didn’t! There is no “slap” to it and it was to loose and just fell off Madison’s wrist.
So, go for the package next time Hobby Lobby has 50% off their Foam supplies.
1. Cut the ends off to make them square(ish). Who wants to try to sew rounded ends?
2. Cut a piece of fabric just big enough to wrap around your bracelet and make a 1/2″ seam on the side and both ends.
3. Fold the fabric in half length-wise (good side together) and sew one end and the long side together.
4. Clip corners and turn right side out. Use a wooden dowel or an artist paintbrush to poke the ends right side out and get them square.
5. Shimmy and slide the bracelet into it’s fabric sleeve.
6. Fold the fabric down inside the sleeve leaving just a little bit sticking out beyond the foam slap bracelet to hem.
*There is metal inside the foam so I don’t think it would be a good idea to sew the fabric closed ON TOP of the foam (and metal)!
Now all you have to do is “slap it on”. Literally!