I took my husband to the airport for a business trip, dropped the kids off at their grandparents, and picked up the hardboard and MDF. I’d never worked with MDF before; those suckers are heavy!!! After I cut the hardboard, I stared at the 2 sheets of MDF in the back of the truck. How was I going to get them out? With evening approaching, I did what any serious DIY-er would do. Went to get takeout veggie sushi. And then called my nice neighbor to help me unload the sheets onto paint cans in the driveway.
Catch up here if you missed Part 1.
I spent hours cutting the MDF. I loved using the Kreg Rip-Cut until I realized that it was making shorter cuts than what my tape measure marked. I calibrated and recalibrated the Rip-Cut. I’m not even sure which is right, the tape measure or the Rip-Cut. But using my poor decision-making skills, I split the difference, and finished my cuts. I’m exhausted, dirty, ready for a shower and some sleep!
The next day, Sandra gave me a Skype consultation on how to build my base cabinets. I felt very tired, but decided to construct one cabinet before bed. I couldn’t get the cabinet squared, though, so the remainder of the late night involved me going to and then getting back out of bed, trying different ways to square it each time. Not much rest that night! When will I learn to stop working once I’m tired???
Another day – after taking the kids to their grandparents’ again, and a phone call to Sandra, today I finished constructing all four of my base cabinets. They look pretty good! And I only had one snafu, where I attached two sides together. Whoops!
The last three days have been spent attempting to move two outlets (not as straightforward as it sounds). What I won’t do to save money! I also got my base face frames built.
Outlets moved. Shelf holes drilled. Face frames made. Cabinets double-primed. I’ve got to patch the walls from the old outlets, and I really have to get to removing the crown molding …. I’ve been delaying that difficult step. I keep thinking that I set out to build bookshelves and now I’ve had to learn about electricity and drywall. But it will make me a well-rounded DIYer in the end!