Macramé is Back Baby! And I’m not talking about hemp plant hangers or string vests, puhlease! Today’s macramé means sophisticated materials, bright colors and fab patterns woven into amazing textiles! This weekend Sophie and I experimented with it a bit and created this cheerful headboard.
I have been obsessing over these artistic textiles for awhile, and have been itching to give it a try. Here are some inspiration pics that I have been collecting on Pinterest. I love it!
Meanwhile, poor Sophie has been living with a very unfinished bedroom. It seems that as soon as I get one project to the “livable” stage, the basement floods, or some other emergency drags me away before I can actually finish anything, GRRRRRRR! So until I have time to build her a custom headboard and the Kristy storage platform bed, this $3 DIYed macramé headboard will have to do. That’s right 3 bucks, am I the queen of cheap or what?!!!
Despite the frugal price tag, she love’s it so much, I only feel half as guilty about not having finished her room yet.
We used three 8 foot furring strips, you could use 1 x 2’s for a higher quality frame, especially if you want to leave the wood natural. However, I had these on hand, and you really can’t beat the price at less than a buck each. I cut two pieces 5 feet, and two pieces at 44 inches (adjust per your space). Then drilled holes every 3 inches using a 5/16 inch drill bit (In retrospect I would drill the holes 4 -5 inches apart). Next we sanded till smooth, then glued and nailed the strips together to create a rectangle, filled the holes and painted.
TIP: Try to place the worst looking side of the boards to the outside as they will get covered with a ribbon.
Next we played around with the layout. We learned that we liked using one ribbon in several places to create continuity, and we liked our weave on the spare side, so we left a lot of the holes blank (which is why I would make fewer holes if doing it over). We used ribbons that we recycled from another project, but I think yarn or colored string would work great as well.
Using a wood skewer we threaded the ribbons through the holes and then secured with hot glue on the outside paying attention to keeping the ribbons centered, taught, and neat. We repeated with the ribbons, weaving and experimenting till we got to the point where we were happy. Then we took another ribbon and secured it around the outside of the whole frame to cover the ribbon bits and glue and create a finished outside edge.
It is not quite the custom tufted upholstered headboard that I have in my head, but it is bright and cheerful and gives her bed a more finished look. YAY Macramé!!!