I’m sharing the free woodworking plans for Kristy’s bedroom Built-ins starting with the storage bench. This is actually the first of three parts that make up the Queen platform bed with storage. Then there is a center section which is a pullout storage trundle. These plans were custom designs for a very small bedroom where we wanted to utilize every possible inch for storage. This bench can be used as a stand alone bench in addition to being part of the platform bed configuration.
The overall dimensions of the finished bench are: 18″ high, 63 7/8″ wide and 28″ deep.
Kristy Storage Bench
What you’ll need:
- 2 1/2 sheets of 3/4″ material, either MDF or Plywood.
- 1 3/4″ wood screws
- or 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws
- wood glue
1. Use glue and screws to attach your two long sides to the bottom. You can either use pocket holes or drive 1 3/4″ screws up through the bottom. If using pocket hole screws, drive them all in from the inside of the box. That way you won’t have any screw holes to plug or fill on your bench front or back.
2. Attach the two 17 1/4″ ends. Secure with glue and pocket hole screws from the inside of the box. 3 per side on each end.
3. Secure the dividers with glue and pocket hole screws.
*The dividers are 3/4″ shorter than the sides and ends creating support for the bench top.
4. Cut handholds into your top so you have a way to open it without needing to attach handles. That would be uncomfortable to sit on!
5. Secure lid with hinges that keep it from slamming shut.
6. Add decorative moulding to the front. Kristy’s bed sits against the front of her bench currently so we didn’t add trim but if she ever changes this bedroom to a playroom, where she would want the reading nook set up, she could easily add some trim to trick out the front of the bench.
7. Paint and enjoy as is or click here to get the plans for the rest of Kristy plans here:
- Queen Platform Bed
- Drawers and Drawer fronts for Queen Bed
- Pull-out Storage Trundle
- Wardrobes with Side Cubby
Get my Cabinet Building 101 eBook. All the information in one place that you can download and keep on hand!