This is the same platform storage bed as the Cal King Bed I publish yesterday — but this is a queen size plan. Material is 3/4″ plywood with a 2×4 base.
Queen Platform Storage Bed
- Use 3/4″ plywood or MDF
- Wood glue
- 1 3/4″wood screws
- 3″ construction screws
Phase 1: Build 6 storage boxes as shown below
Step 1: Attach bottom to sides
- Use a scrap of 3/4″ material to ensure correct placement of the bottom.
Step 2: Attach back
Step 3: Attach top
Yeah! You’re done with Phase 1! If you put all the compartments together this is what you should have. If your measurements are slightly different, adjust the next steps to fit YOUR compartments.
Phase 2: Build the Platform Base
Step 1: Build the 2×4 base
- Use 2×4′s and 3″ constructions screws to assemble as shown below.
Step 2: Secure Storage Compartments to Base
- Attach a 2×4 cleat to bottom of each storage compartment
- Each cleat should fit INSIDE the base.
- Set the storage compartment inside the base and secure the compartments together by driving 1 1/4″ screws into the sides.
Phase 3: Faceframe and Surround
Step 1: Add “head” and “foot”
- 3/4″ MDF or Plywood
- Attach using 1 1/4″ screws driving through from inside the cabinet compartments. (You might have to climb inside to get enough screws in there.
- Each board extends above the platform by 1 3/4″
Step 2: Build and attach Faceframes
- Use 1×2 and 1×3 poplar.
- Build and attach with 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws.
- refer to post on building and attaching face frames for basic instructions
- Faceframes match height of head and foot
- side face frames go on first
- Footer faceframe extends to the edge of the side face frames
Step 3: Add filler strips
- Add a 1×2 to the inside of the two sides and then the foot
- Glue and nail (from the inside) the 1×2 flush with the TOP of the face frame and “foot”
Step 4: Add Top Face
- Add another 1×2 to the top of the U-shaped bed platform
Phase 4: Drawers and Drawer Fronts
- Build and install drawers and drawer fronts using relevant instructional posts
Finish then build an awesome Headboard and enjoy!
- sand everything and paint or stain
And if you REALLY like what you see here — I’d LOVE it if you share and pin my posts with ALL your friends! :-D
Tags: Bed, Bedroom, Free Plans