Yesterday I shared the free plans for the storage bench portion of the Kristy collection bedroom plans. Today I’m sharing the platform storage bed plans. If you don’t plan on doing the built-in wardrobes, you probably won’t want to do the storage bench and may want to modify these plans to extend the full length of your mattress without the bench. Because of the amount of dividers supporting the top, I’ve chosen to design this plan for 1/2″ material. The entire platform bed will be topped with another piece (or pieces) of material further strengthening the entire platform. You should be well supported!
Kristy Platform Storage Bed – side boxes
*This plan is for a Queen size platform bed.
- 1/2″ material: MDF or cabinet grade plywood
- wood glue
- brad nails
- wood screws (I use these 1 3/4″ SPAX screws)
- Kreg jig
- 1 1/4″ course thread pocket hole screws
Cut list is for Two Sides.
Boxes - you will need to make two of these side boxes.
Step 1. Attach dividers to one side of each box.
- Use wood glue and 1 3/4″ screws.
- Drive screws directly through side into divider. (No need to hide these screws.)
Step 2. Add cleats.
- Glue and brad nail 1/2″ cleats to the dividers as shown.
- Make sure you put the cleats on the correct side of each divider!
Step 3. Attach additional dividers.
- Use glue and brad nails to attach this divider to the cleats.
- Use 1 3/4″ wood screws to secure to the side like you did in step 1.
Step 4. Attach second side.
- Apply wood glue on adjoining edge of dividers and cleats
- Use 1 3/4″ wood screws
- Drive screws directly through side into dividers. (No need to hide these screws either.)
Step 5. Square up and attach back.
- see this tutorial for squaring up if you don’t know how to square up. (Coming soon)
- Use an power stapler with at 3/4″ staples if you have one.
- If you don’t have an power stapler use #6 3/4″ wood screws, or finish nails to secure the back onto the box.
-1x poplar wood you will need one for each box.
- One 1×3 at 52 1/4″
- One 1×3 at 19 1/4″
- One 1×2 at 52 1/4″
- One 1×2 at 19 1/4″
- Six 1×2 at 13 1/2″
Step 1. Build front faceframe
- Use wood glue and 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws.
Step 2. Attach front faceframe
- Use wood glue and 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws as illustrated.
Step 3. Build and attach end faceframe
- Build end faceframe with pocket hole screws as illistrated in “Faceframe Step 1″.
- Attach with glue and finish nails.
Now you should have two side boxes for you platform storage bed.
Next step is to build the center box, drawers and drawer fronts. Stay tuned.
Make sure to check out Kristy’s bedroom reveal for photos of a beautiful finished Kristy collection bed!
Tags: Free Plans, Kristy Collection, Plans and Projects