I’m doing something new and sharing the plans for Kristy’s bedroom Built-ins starting with her reading nook storage bench. My client projects are most often custom designs for specific spaces and while this is true for Kristy’s room, this bench could be built this as a stand alone bench just as easily.
The overall dimensions of the finished bench are: 18″ high, 63 7/8″ wide and 28″ deep.
Kristy Storage Bench
What you’ll need:
- 2 1/2 sheets of 3/4″ material, either MDF or Plywood.
- 1 3/4″ wood screws (I like SPAX)
- or 1 1/4″ pocket hole screws
- wood glue
1. Use glue and screws to attach your two long sides to the bottom. You can either use pocket holes or drive 1 3/4″ screws up through the bottom. If using pocket hole screws, drive them all in from the inside of the box. That way you won’t have any screw holes to plug or fill on your bench front or back.
2. Attach the two 17 1/4″ ends. Secure with glue and pocket hole screws from the inside of the box. 3 per side on each end.
3. Secure the dividers with glue and pocket hole screws.
*The dividers are 3/4″ shorter than the sides and ends creating support for the bench top.
4. Cut handholds into your top so you have a way to open it without needing to attach handles. That would be uncomfortable to sit on!
5. Secure lid with hinges that keep it from slamming shut.
6. Add decorative moulding to the front. Kristy’s bed sits against the front of her bench currently so we didn’t add trim but if she ever changes this bedroom to a playroom, where she would want the reading nook set up, she could easily add some trim to trick out the front of the bench.
7. Paint and enjoy!
Tags: Free Plans, Plans & Projects